Sunday, June 24, 2012

Weekly Thrift Scores

I thought a "Weekly Thrift Scores" blog feature might be fun.  I don't always go thrifting or antiquing on a weekly basis.  But I go often enough that I have a huge stash of awesome scores to share with you all for weeks to come.  Some are items that I never would have purchased had I not seen something similar on another blog somewhere.  So I'll share my finds too and maybe it will help broaden your next thrifting trip.  Or not, but at least you'll have some pictures of pretty things to look at.

Since I'm almost 7 months pregnant, I'll start with 5 of my recent faves that I am incorporating into our nursery.

1) Changing table.
I found this baby on craigslist for $25. Basic ones like this sell new for about $100+, so I thought this was a great deal.  It was an ugly oak colored wood, so Ken took it apart, stripped and sanded it, and put it back together in a sturdier fashion.  We painted it a mustard color to go with the baby room, and then I added some chic shelf liner.

2) Vanity mirror.
This was from the local antique shop for somewhere around $100-120.  And I don't feel the least bit guilty about the price tag.  I absolutely LOVE the edges of this mirror and the vintagey feel of the whole thing.  I know it's supposed to go on a dresser, but I think it looks great on the wall too.

3) Side table.
$60.  Obviously antique store price instead of thrift store price.  I originally had some old white night stands from Target that I was going to repaint for this room.  But I'm tired of painting.  And once you figure in $10 for paint, my time, and then factor in how sick of painting I am, $60 doesn't sound so bad.

4) Vintage baby sweaters and petticoats.
Free.  These were mine from when I was a baby and my Mom dug them out and shipped them up.  I'm so lucky that she saved so many of my awesome baby clothes.  There are some treasures in there!  If you aren't as lucky as me, you can find items like these in higher end thrift stores and antique shops if you look hard enough.  Maybe even garage sales or estate sales.  Here are some similar items on Etsy: 1, 2, 3.  I will be reusing some of the clothing on my baby girl, but some will also hang as decorations in the nursery.

5) Photo holder.
$4.  I just liked the color and thought it would be cute to hold a family maternity photo once we have those done.  Or maybe a cute little print like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment