Friday, August 20, 2010

Framed Jewelry Holder

I am blessed with lots of cute earrings, but plagued with no good organizing system for them. So I crafted this awesome jewelry holder from an old picture frame and a few supplies from the local craft store.  I love it so much that I got up in the middle of the night and turned the light on just to look at it again.  But I'm neurotic like that.

Purchased supplies:
Picture frame (minus the glass) - $15 at my local antique shop
Foam board - $3
Batting - $4
Fabric - $3
Push pins - $3
Total cost = $28 (with batting, fabric, and pins left over)

Other tools you'll need:
Scissors
Hot glue gun, glue
Something to secure the board to the frame
Lots of cute earrings to hang up!

Steps:
1) Remove glass and backing board from your frame.
2) Cut the foam board to fit inside the frame.  Leave a little extra space to account for the batting and fabric that will be wrapped around the edges.

3) Cut the batting and fabric to the size of the foam board, leaving 1-2 inches around the edges.  Washing and ironing the fabric gives the best results, but I'm lazy, so I just ironed it.
4) Starting with one edge at a time, hot glue the batting and fabric to the edges of the foam board.  Make sure you have the fabric facing the correct direction.  Not that I've ever done it wrong...
5) Admire your work.
6) Place the covered board inside the frame.  Secure it to the frame.  My piece was old and didn't have any clasps on the back that most modern-day frames come with.  So I used a handful of screws to keep it in place.
7) Admire your work again.
8) Hang on the wall.  Push the pins randomly on the board and hang up your beautiful jewelry.  Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment