Saturday, August 21, 2010

Flower Pins

Last fall I purchased a couple of silk flower hair clips.  For like $7 a piece.  I used them in my hair, on the lapels of jackets, as a pin to hold the ends of my scarf together, and as a decoration on my purse.  And then it occurred to me that I can actually make these things myself.  For like $0.07 a pice.

Supplies:
- Fake flowers.  I like silk ones, but anything that isn't too stiff would work equally well.
- Hair clip or button pin thingy.  I've used about 5 different types, so play with some and see what you like best.
- Beads (for the center of the flower).
- Wire for attaching the flower to the clips.
- Felt for covering the back of the pin.

Tools:
- Hot glue gun and glue
- Scissors

Directions:
- Pull the fake flowers off the stems.
- Thread a bead onto a piece of wire and fold the wire in half (so that the bead stays on).
- Thread wire through the center of the flower petals.  Play with different color combinations and styles.
- Thread the wire around the pin or clip.  Different clips will require different methods of attaching.
- Cut the felt into small ovals or circles, in a size that will fit onto the back of the clip/pin.  I use zig-zag shears.
- Cut a slit in the felt to slide the clip through, and then place onto the clip.  So you have, in this order: bead, flower petals, clip/pin, felt.
- Hot-glue inbetween the flower and felt, which will then secure the clip in between the two.
- Let dry and now you have a beautiful, and cheap, flower pin!

Here's my Mom wearing one of my creations on her dress for my brother's wedding:

No comments:

Post a Comment