Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Banana Bread!

Need a yummy whole-wheat, zero-butter banana bread recipe?  I have one for you!

There is one banana bread recipe in my cabinet that I use over and over again.  But, just like my home-made stock, I never make it quite the same way twice.  I used to follow it exactly, and it was very very yummy, but not necessarily the healthiest thing I could be eating.  Full of butter, sugar, and white flour.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.  Except that when I eat banana bread, I usually eat 4 or 5 slices in one sitting.  Usually.  Other times I will at almost an entire loaf in one day.  I needed something that had just as much "mmmm...", but a little less guilt.  I have several variations that I usually make, but here is my most recent version.

Ingredients:
- 4 or 5 large ripe bananas
- 4 eggs.  Lucky me, I get to use fresh brown eggs from backyard chickens!
- 1 c applesauce.  Again, lucky me, I get to use organic low-sugar applesauce that I canned last fall.
- 1 c sugar.  The recipe calls for 2c, but I added only 1c and it was still delish.
- 3.5 c flour.  I used whole wheat for this one.
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- cinnamon to taste
- 1 tsp almond or vanilla extract
- 1 c ground pecans or walnuts or whatever kind of nuts you like
- handful of dried fruit.  I used dried cherries here.
- zest of 1 orange

Cooking:
300°F for 70 minutes or until firm to the touch.

1) Put bananas and eggs into blender and mix.
KIDDING Mom, I did actually crack the eggs.  I am much improved in the kitchen over the last few years!
2) Drink some wine.  Don't forget this very important and crucial step!
3) Pour into mixer.  The batter, not the wine.  Or mix by hand if you are less lazy than I.  Add the applesauce and sugar.  Mix well.  Then add the flour in small batches (mix, add, mix, add, etc.).  Add the extract, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.  Mix again.

4) Add the nuts and dried fruit.
5) Add orange zest.
6) Mix on low speed until everything is nice and cohesive.
7) Lightly grease 2 loaf pans.  Fill with the batter.
8) Bake at 300 °F for 60-70 minutes.  I check at 60 minutes, but it usually needs another 10 minutes or so.  Remove from oven and let cool for about 10 minutes on a rack.  Then remove from the pans and let cool completely.  Or do like I do, and cut off a few pieces and consume immediately.  Mmmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment